Monday, April 19, 2010

Breaking the Ice

"Hi! Nice to meet you."
"You too! Lovely weather we're having..."
"Ya, it's awesome! So.. where do you work? What do you do?"
-------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason it bothers me that in todays society we are so focused on identifying a person by their profession. As if, what you do for 8 hours a day actually defines who you are. I'm a cook, or I'm a bank teller, or I'm a doctor. What I'd like to think is that who you are defines what you do, although I'm quite certain this would only exist in a more perfect world than we are in now. I believe most of us don't necessarily choose our jobs, we don't. We apply and apply until someone agrees on our suitability and calls us in for an interview. Then we get nervous because we need to be working, and hopefully the interviewer will find you intriguing or intelligent enough to hire you. This may not have been the position you wanted, but it's the one that hopefully will be offered to you and you can take.

Now don't get me wrong, I know people who don't fit this mold. People who are doing what they love, what they have a passion for. These people chose their profession, no doubt about it. Or perhaps they would say their position chose them out of strong affection for a certain hobby or passtime. But I don't think that this is the common thread amongst us. Part of me envies these people, in a strictly non negative way....haha

I've had a few friends ask me lately why I'm not running my own business. You see, as my Dad told me once, business is in our blood. It seems to be something that comes to our family fairly naturally. I even had a good friend of mine recently offer to back me financially if I wanted to start my own business, he was that determined that I would make it work. The issue here is that there's something missing from the equation. It's not my lack of interest, ability or courage, it's my lack of an idea and a passion. All the people that started business, whom I know personally, did so out of a love for something. There was a single focus in their lives that they were driven to, something that moved them and they enjoyed. I just love life, but I've never had that love or that passion for one thing in particular. On the other hand, I'm not certain of something that's missing in our town, a niche I could fill. I haven't ruled owning a business out, and the seed has been planted in my brain, but I'm not going to jump the gun on this idea either. Life is unpredictable, one never knows the decisions we will make in the future.

The other possible explanation for the never-failing occupation question could be unity. When you meet someone new, there are some rather safe conversation openers - like the weather. However, another thing that we as members of society have in common is we all work. So perhaps it is an innocent question to most, and only an accusation to those currently unhappily employed. Asking where you work is just a form of breaking ice, because once you know this detail it might open up an entire floodgate of topics to chat about.... and really that's all you're looking for when you meet someone for the first time - a reason to talk, something in common.

Personally, I'm pretty sure I could be happy doing almost any profession. Life is what you make of it! As long as I can pay my bills then I am more than content to take on anything, but each experience is worth having (as long as it's legal I think lol). It looks like my current employment chapter is coming to a close, which is a little sad for me because I was enjoying my position. However, I'm also excited to think that this opens new doors! Now I will get to do something new! (And hopefully more permanent than the last two positions I've had). So, I'm asking you my friends, if you know of anything you think I might be suited to, or interested in, please let me know about it. I'm happy to know so many great people!

Today is my handsome boyfriend's birthday. The fella is turning 26, and although I may be older I keep maintaining that I'm cuter so it's all ok... hehehe. I love Robert completely, and being with him I'm totally and completely happy. With that said, here's hoping he likes his birthday presents! Here are some pictures from my brother Martin's 4th birthday party, April 22nd 1985.

Also, I never got to plant the seedlings over the weekend. We were on call, and when we went to rent a movie to watch TADA! They had season one of True Blood for rent. Score! So we spent our on call weekend watching the entire 12 episode saga. I was surprised that Robert was as interested as he was, but don't go thinking it is like the book series. Yes, some of it is but alot of it isn't. This at least made it more exciting for me cause I didn't know alot of what was going on. I wonder how the author of the books felt about all the changes? No doubt with the publicity and profits she found a way to accept. LOL

Hope everyone has a fantastic week ahead of them! It's monday which means there are 7 days left of possible good things to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment