Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sewing Question

I have a question for you.


I'm about to show a high level of naivity but I figure if I can't ask you, who could I ask?

Plus, if you can't make yourself look silly in front of family and friends then heck - you're in trouble.

So here goes .... how hard is it to sew?


I remember when I was young my mom used to go to the local fabric shop and buy patterns, pick out fabric etc. I don't remember her doing it often - but that doesn't really answer my question. Halloween costumes maybe?

If I had a basic sewing machine (I figure someone must have an old one laying around they don't want and I could borrow... or they make fairly cheap ones nowadays anyway).

And went and bought a pattern labeled for beginners.


Figured out what kind of material I needed etc.

Could I make myself a little top or such very easily?

Or am I going out on a limb and being rediculous here......?

My understanding is you trace the pattern onto the fabric, cut it out and then follow the directions to sew it together. Notice I mentioned a beginner pattern? haha...

Have any of you ever tried this? How about you Miss Gail? Although you can make quilts so I'm not sure you're in my newbie league at all - you're the only friend I have that sews. Besides Miss Peggy, who should also please feel free to input here when you're finished with today's wedding craziness.



I actually don't have any idea if many of you sew at all.

Please advise.
This idea has popped into my brain more than once. I figure that multiple appearances there isn't just a flittery interest but something genuine. What would I be getting myself into here?

Thanks! xoxo

(All images courtesy of google image search and are not my own)

3 comments:

  1. I just started a comment, and promptly lost it so will start again.
    It would be my delight to buy you a brand new sewing machine...just for my girl ! That is number one !
    You have sewing in your genes. That is why you have started to think about it. Your family was a bunch of "sew"-ers ya know.
    I used to do aLOT of sewing and I was also a professsional seamstress..did ya know that? So now you have a teacher !
    I will show you how to make things simple, easy, and at low cost. I will show ya little tips, and in no time, you will be producing marvellous things !!
    It can be addictive, ya know ! You'll be as happy as can be, sewing to your heart's delight !
    Not hard, sweetie..not a difficult task at all. So relax, and this week, hopefully , you will have your sewing machine and can begin. I have lots of fabric here too, and I will give you some..maybe when you come to visit, you can pick out colours you like. A "top" is simple. You can also easily make curtains, cushions,and all sorts of things for your lovely new home, or ANY thing you wish to make !
    I love ya baby.... we will be in touch soon. Call me when you get a chance ! I am here for you !
    Your Aunt Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Aunt you have there miss leslie! sweing if fairly easy. when you get a maching I suggest just practice making straight lines on scrap material. sounds simple i know but a lesson that will go a long long ways.. lol

    beginner patterns are fairly simple, just follow the instructions and you'll be golden. you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetums...you can do anything you put your mind too.
    I have taught myself to sew because lord knows the classes in high school taught diddly squat.
    The beginners patterns are wonderful and pretty straight forward.
    As for myself, if I want something sewn, or made, I usually either wing it or copy from a pattern.
    And as Auntie stated it can become addictive.
    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete