Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Furry Companions

Live in the momment.

That's what I'm learning from Bear and Remy. This is my life, I'm living it right now.



I have to stop saying try, and instead mean that we are going to do it.



 

I love my animals and they are teaching me who I am as a person, allowing me to grow and know myself.



 

I've spent 7 years learning how Bear's mind works. What makes him listen, how his brain ticks.



Enter Remy, who is his complete opposite.




 

To focus Bear you must show dominance vocally: say it like you mean it the first time, no discussion.



To focus Remy you must show patience and politeness. If she senses frustration in your voice she cowers or flies in fear and any message you were trying to relay is gone.



She will be lost to you until you recenter, breathe

easily and ask her in a calm tone to listen. She only will when she feels you truly mean it. That girl can sense

when you're faking it a mile away - trust me.



Remy is looking for your forgiveness, but if you get angry with her she loses all understanding.



With her and patience, if you lose an inch you lose it all.



I've never had such a real and immediate lesson. Yet, when I do it right the reward is in front of my eyes

and warms my heart.



No one ever said growing as a person was easy. They are good animals, through the million times they have already made me laugh and the few times I've shed a tear at my own frustrations.



I know at the end of the day it is not Remy and it's not Bear. It's me.



And I'm learning.





Believe in yourself, the way your dogs believe in you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment