Wednesday, September 1, 2010

QUILT KNITTING

Good morning everyone!


As I was laying in bed this morning, willing myself awake, I opened my eyes and looked out the window. What I saw were the lights of a plane blinking their way across the glass and out of view. First time I have ever noticed, but I will certainly be looking for it again tomorrow morning.

When Remy and I left the house at 6am, it was still completely dark. Days are shortening, and fall is coming. Soon it'll snow, and I'm so excited for that.

Last evening I was feeling motivated. When I got paid last week, I went and purchased a rotary cutter and mat set from walmart. It was time to put them to use. I found a few fabrics that I had leftover, laying around or had been given to me (thanks Auntie!). I cut them into strips and began my first quilting experience ever. Now that my sewing machine is co-operating (thanks Peggy!) I was ready to start. This new found drive could also be inspired by finishing that book, "How to Knit a Love Song". So I'm going to share with you a few more chapter opening quotes that were cute and made me smile. Now, how to pick a choose without boring you by listing them all... haha

Don't take your knitting so seriously. It's supposed to be fun remember? (pg. 61)

If it makes you feel better to think you're in charge of the yarn completely, then go ahead and do that. It won't change the truth. (pg. 99)



If you can believe one thing, believe this: No one will ever notice your mistakes later. (pg. 122)

The magic of knitting is that very small acts add up into something substantial, useful, and beautiful. (pg. 154)

Sometimes, though, the whole sweater will end up a disaster. When you sew it up and try it on, it doesn't work, doesn't fit, looks like the dog's breakfast. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. (pg 267)



Believe in your skills enough to cast on again, even after failure. The next sweater will look and fit better, I promise. (pg. 277)

Life is too short to be be bothered knitting something you don't love. (pg. 308)

 

So I have the top completed to my mini test quilt. I wanted to try making something small, to see if what's in my head will work when it comes to real life. I'm not sure if completing this first layer is the hardest part finished or the easiest part. Now I have to put the sandwich together and put a binding around the edges. Might be trickier than one would think.

Either way though, I'm super happy with how well this part has worked out... Yay!



Last night I dreamt that I was back in high school, and I couldn't see the board because I needed glasses again. My friend Gail has returned to school this week, and I'm super proud of her (ok, and maybe a tad jealous... hehe).


One of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME is You've Got Mail. I just absolutely love it. I can't remember exactly, but when they are talking about how much they like fall Tom Hanks says something along the lines of "I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils, if I only knew your name and address". I picture them as a handful with a cute bow.

I hope that everyone has a lovely wednesday!
September is here!


2 comments:

  1. that view never gets old.......I may have many things within a couple hours drive but having that in my backyard would be a worthy trade.

    Thanks for the David Gray to start my day, off to the races we are ;) cheers love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are cut from the same cloth. I have been wanting to pull out that movie. Those exact same words have been rumbling around in my mind. The bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils...love that image:) I'll have to mention that soon.

    I need to buy one of those fabric cutters. It would save time. I don't quilt, but I do love the occasionial sewing project. I just made linen ruffly bedding for our room. It's so pretty. I still need to do the duvet and I'll be done.

    Anyway I hope you have a beautiful day. Thank you as always for blessing me this morning with your sweet comments. Just made my day:)

    ReplyDelete