Thursday, September 30, 2010

GRASSLAND DUCKS

I have come up with another excuse to procrastinate on the quilt. I hope that when the time comes, you don't give me any sympathy for having to do so much in so little time. However, I was sizing up the fabric and I do really feel I need something my nephew will like in there. Dad mentioned before how much he loves the movie Cars, so I think I'm going to investigate getting a piece of fabric with Lightening McQueen on it. I just want to give him a reason to love the blanket.

Ok, hunting story.

We drove past a small lake. We saw ducks. Hopping out to get a better view, through binoculars we identify 5 on the other side of the water. Sweeeeeeeet. It was far to walk, we hopped in the truck and carried on down the road to see if we could get any closer.

We did. After gearing up, we began making our way through the woods but got stuck in alder mess. Not getting anywhere. My hunny suggested we go back to where we first spotted them, as the brush and woods weren't so thick there.

Once we got back to the original sighting ground, we double checked and the ducks were still there. It was a sign that they were meant to be ours! hehe. Raining, but warm enough that it didn't seem important, we set out. Hiking our way around the hourglass shaped water. Things were mucky and wet. Alot of bog. But we weren't going this far and turning around.

Overall it looked like an ad for Cabelas. Lake, edged with thick, tall grassland and then bordered by mature forest. Watching my hunny pick his way through waist high grass in his thick woodland flannel, hat and Remington in hand. He might've come to shoot ducks, but I was there to shoot photos and the image before my eyes couldn't have been more iconic.

I pulled out the little canon. Pressed the power button and heard it. The three beep alert of death. *beep* *beep* *beep* - lens error reset camera- followed by a not so pretty *crunch* noise. I almost panicked. I couldn't believe this was happening. I frantically tried to reset, pulled the batteries, powered up and I heard *beep* *beep* *beep* *crunch*. After more frenzied attempts  to get the camera to work, with soaking wet feet and my hunny taking aim in front of me I had to face the harsh, cruel reality. I wasn't going to get this on camera. None of it. I was so disheartened watching my hunny in the most picture perfect, ideal setting I could have imagined. After sacrificing the dry comfort of the truck to get soaked, cold and wet, picking through the woods for an hour - I was being presented with the opportunity any photographer would dream of... and the camera died.

This is what I managed to save of the moment for you. I must say, it almost ruined my entire day.




I don't know if anyone else is feeling this way, but I'm sad to say goodbye to Michaelle Jean as Canada's Governor General. She was beautiful, and not just in her cute outfits. For the first time in my life, I found that I actually cared about the role of this office. Previously, I always though this was a stuffy position for some old guy that had nothing to do with me. She changed that. Michaelle Jean showed all Canadians how the Governor General could be. How great. I'm really disappointed to see her go, am annoyed that our douche of a prime minister, Harper, didn't renew her term, am glad that she's taking up a position with the UN now, and think that the fellow beginning tomorrow has impossibly large shoes to fill.




Time for me to go get ready for work. Hope you all have a fantastic day!

Xoxo.
Leslie.

No comments:

Post a Comment