Monday, August 30, 2010

KNITTING LOVE

I've started a new book. I was really in the mood for something light and cute, a sweet diversion to my busy week. You know the saying 'never judge a book by its cover', well I do all the time. I'm pretty sure most people do in fact. Either way, I saw this book on the library shelf that looks exactly like the cover layout to a book that I read in the past, and would be the perfect type of book for me this week. Light and cute. So I nabbed it and hoped for the best. It's called: How To Knit a Love Song: A Cypress Hollow Yarn.



Laying in the tub last night, I read the first 50 pages. A woman is going through a change in her life, and each chapter begins with knitting advice she had been given by her mentor. It is cute. I have sort of mentally drawn a parallel between the knitting in this book and my sewing. Except that she is hugely accomplished and I'm just beginning. That sure doesn't mean I can't use her knitting advice and apply it to me. This book also reminds me of auntie. I figured she'd get a chuckle and smile from it.







I decided last night that some of the little advice quotations are fun enough to be shared. I'm going to match them up with some animal photos I took yesterday and you will get today's entry. Hope you enjoy !


Sometimes the hardest part is the first stitch. When you don't know what you're doing, the very thought of starting can be terrifying. Put down my book.  Refer to it only if you must.  Cast on bravely, now. (pg. 1)

 

Knitters don't give away stash easily.  If you are offered something, be it wool, angora or alpaca, take it. That knitter knows you'll need it someday. (This, of course, doesn't apply to acrylic. Run from acrylic). (pg. 7)



When you cast on, don't count your stitches more than twice.  If the numbers don't match, hope for the one you want, and knit across.  If you still have to add or take away a few stitches, do it then.  Don't fuss so much. (pg 13)



Unless you learned to knit in early childhood, it's natural to feel out of your element and clumsy. It's natural to think everyone else makes it look easy. (pg 17)



Knit a sleeve as long as you want, not to the specifications of any silly pattern, even one of mine.  If you always roll your sleeves, knit a sleeve four inches shorter.  Remember, there are no sleeve police. (pg 40)



If you don't like how your knitting is going, change it.  Never be a slave to a pattern, especially one of mine.  Make the pattern conform to your will, or burn it cheerfully in the grate and write a new one,  a better one. (pg 44)


Smile everyone! Hope you all have a fantastic monday.......

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. lol Leslie; that's cute! (I'm obsessively knitting this week. I am taking on a crazy ass scarf idea i've had. I never follow patterns i make up as i go! heh) I hope you have a great monday!

    ReplyDelete