Wednesday, August 18, 2010

HEAT MADNESS

Have you ever stopped and wondered why they are called Corn Flakes? I did, until today. Now I will know forever that the first ingredient is in fact, corn. The second ingredient is sugar, but that is entirely beside the point. Although considering they aren't Frosted Flakes, that hardly seems fair. And in only 1 1/4 cups there is 240mg of sodium. You'd think you were eating something yummy with those bad stats. That's almost as bad as the idea of salt in milk. Yikes.

Anyway, my day off didn't start out entirely as planned.  Instead of beginning the wonder of quilting seminar at my kitchen table, I was faced with this:

I wasn't deterred. I persevered. You should be proud of me, especially if you know how little patience I have (in general) and how well I operate without my first green tea of the day (it was steeping and cooling...). 45 minutes, 3 reads of the manual and multiple trials later, I was faced with this:

My plans for the day were going to have to change. Luckily, Peggy is going to come rescue me in the near future. She thinks she knows a way to prolong the life of my sewing machine, without me smashing it first.

Meanwhile, today was hot. I ran around, got some errands finished and work taken care of first thing. I like to be a keener on my days off so then I have the afternoon for more leisurely activities. This afternoon, though, it happened to be scorching hot. Did I mention it was unbearably warm? I tried taking the animals for some fetch and swimming but nothing was going right, they were distracted and I was still feeling some irritating side effects from my uncooperative sewing adventure.

So home we came. I went down and pulled out the kiddie pool (that at the time seemed a great idea, but I've since worried was a waste of investment) and threw it up on the deck. Next came the hose. It might be hot enough to cook ya but at least we could cool off in style. First thing, convince a little girl it's worth getting in. What better way? Healthy treats of course!

Even I thought that the water felt awfully good, so I knew it was worth a try. Bear was gungho from the beginning. What a fella!

and eventually the little girl came around and saw the light. Or I should say, the water...


 


It was a warm day. Finally, I got my butt in gear, went inside and did some cooking. Never a pleasant task when the heat is on, but alas I'm working all the rest of this week and my hunny needs something to eat. Everyone loves leftovers in the fridge don't they? If it is cooked, it will get eaten. That's what matters. When I asked the dogs what they wanted to do for the rest of the day, I got the same answer from both of them:

 
And as for the cruise ship that was in town today, thanks for dropping by! See you again next year. Hopefully no one got left behind.... (I don't know how they do a roll call on those things?)


No comments:

Post a Comment