Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Changing Perspective






Have you missed me yet?

Wow! First day of work yesterday, and I have to say it flew by fast.



One thing occurred to me while  I was there, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the world already realizes this - but often I'm so busy in my own little reality that I miss obvious things.

Fashion is like art - in fabric.



Maybe through my love dislike of shopping, I've never actually taken time to appreciate clothes.

Maybe through my fund-efficientness, I've never exposed myself to the types of clothes that one would consider just beautiful.



And taken the time to wonder perhaps how an article of clothing can transform a person.

Whenever I was in a store before, I did a quick scan for potential useful prospects, if I found a possibility I glanced at the price tag and then either accepted it and left, or moved on to something more affordable.



Now, today I got to step back.

Re-evaluate.

Find a new perspective.

Open my mind.

Imagine new possibilities.



(Plus, when I got home from work my amazing hunny had supper on the table and cookies in the oven. I maybe never tell him enough how much I appreciate him. How perfect he is. I hope he knows)

All above images can be found at http://www.shopruche.com/

~*~

I finished a book this morning.

It haunts me still, like an echo long after a soft call.

 It is called The Disappeared by Kim Echlin.

The story of a high school senior in Montreal who falls in love with an older Cambodian student, in exile while his country's boarders are closed and families are being masacred. It is a magnetic, all consuming, obsessive love that will forever mould her life. When the borders reopen, he must go home and she is lost without him.

"I never felt any forbiddenness of race or language or law. Everything was animal sensation and music. You were my crucifixion, my torture and rebirth. I loved your eyes, the tender querying of your voice in song."

Eleven years later, after focusing her education on languages and learning his native tongue, she believes she sees an image of him on tv. Leaving her life behind to go find him in his troubled homeland becomes her new mission. Making friends in her search, the unimaginable happens and they are reunited. Time and life has changed them but their love remains true.

"Better to kill an innocent person than to leave an enemy alive"

Misfortunes take place, she miscarries their child and then he is taken from her forever. Unwilling to lose him, even in death, she presses on in the face of her own possible extermination - determined to bury and put to rest what has been lost.

Kim Echlin ignites words into sentences, feelings into phrases like no one I've ever read. The book is moving without being overly flowery and sentimental. It's tragic romance. A woman gave her entire life to this man, and although she survived to live without him it was all in the shadow of his loss.

The book ends:

"You keep coming back to me in little bits of moving images, light on a winter wall. Come to the door, spirit I know, and I will stand and hold you. Come alive just one more time, let me feel your breath, Serey, let me hear your voice in song, let me wash away the pain. Come, and I will whisper your name to you one more time."

The Disappeared
A short novel, little more than 200 pages. Anyone interested in reading it is welcome to borrow my copy. The pages are not full, but housing words that are very filling.


1 comment:

  1. nice tune to go with the text. Julie Andrews doesn't get much airplay ;)

    ReplyDelete