Wednesday, March 17, 2010

puppy love


Everyone who has owned a puppy, knows how much work they are. Anyone who has made the effort to raise a puppy responsibly (you know... read the books, watch the Dog Whisperer..), knows how stressful an undertaking it can be. Don't let puppies fool you with their soft little cuddly bodies and "puppy eyes"! And trust me, they are called "puppy eyes" for a reason, because all puppies have them and all puppies know what a weapon they are. Did I mention cuddly bodies? Ya, good luck cuddling with one, if you value not having your nose bit at. I'm telling you, the word 'puppies' is really just short for 'little demons in angel clothing'.


How do I know this? I'm on puppy #2 of my life. I don't mean the dogs I had when I was a kid living at home. Those don't count. Those weren't MY responsibility. Nope, I could always blame someone else... "It's my brother's fault" or "My parent's fault" or even better "I didn't chose this dog, it's not my fault he's cracked!". I'm talking puppy #2 that's I've taken under my wing, of my own free will. I must be crazy!


But at the end of the day, after the extreme number of poops and bathroom trips (finally all outdoors!), when they have stopped trying to chew things or stir up trouble for no good reason (You know they are just little instigators!). When you can finally sit down on the floor with a cup of tea, and not worry about the mug making it to your mouth peacefully. When the puppy comes over and settles down next to you and when she finally relaxes.... letting the slow, peaceful breathing of sleep win the battle. Then, and only then, a puppy owner can admit that "heck... the little furball is kinda cute". And maybe...... it's worth all the hassle afterall. Yup, it definitely is... BUDDIES !

1 comment:

  1. I so remember when Teddy came into your life and the trials and tribulations of getting him to pee where he should. Walk him for ever only to have him walk in across the easy to clean floor only to pee on the carpet! Who back then would have thought he would grow to be so awesome!
    Jason Weir

    ReplyDelete